Wednesday, February 10, 2016

December 28, 2015

Hi family.
I hope everyone's Christmas was wonderful. Christmas in Ohio flew by and was a little weird because of how hot it was. But I'll start from the beginning of the week. Tuesday was our mission Christmas devotional/party. We had to be there by nine so we had to get up early and drive to Columbus. It was such a fun day! We spilt off into zones and all acted out a part of the nativity. I will send you my zones little part. We did the naming of John the Baptist. Hah But it was supposed to be fun so we added our own little twist. Then they put all
of the zones little clips together and we had a nativity scene. It was pretty cool. 

The rest of the day was filled with games music and a
lunch. It was just a blast to be with the entire mission. But don't worry we didn't have to much fun there was a spiritual part as well. As a mission we just finished reading the Book of Mormon. So after my mission president spoke to us for a minute he gave us the opportunity to bear our testimony on what we learned during the past 3 months as we studied the book. I learned more than I could ever share. The book is so true! But in the last 3 months I think the thing that I learned
most is the power of the Book of Mormon. Reading it helps me get through the drudgery of a mission and gives me a purpose. Meaning the times when the days are long, cold, and no one wants to talk to me.  I never want to miss a day of reading it again. 

At 6 that night we had a quad stake mission fireside for members and investigators.  We had a choir (which I did participate in, merry Christmas mom) and some videos and talks. It was the perfect way to end our night! 

I loved the week of Christmas. We were able to spend a lot of time with Sirius which was good because he is struggling. Satan really doesn't want him to be baptized.  He has a pretty crazy life but is staying strong and not falling into the temptations that are be thrown his way.  It's interesting how things are working out with him but he is still doing good. We pushed his baptism back to January 16. If I have learned one thing from my experience with Sirius is that the lords hand is in EVERYTHING that happens and that this is his work.
Jim is also doing great. Today he took us bowling and out to lunch which was a blast. 

We set a date to go do baptism at the temple with him.  He is like a perfect recent convert. It's almost too good to be true. He is reading everyday and is just already a good Mormon. 

Christmas Day was great. We got to skype, eat lunch and dinner with members and just enjoy the Christmas spirit.
This week in church the third hour was combined and about sabbath day observance.  It really has made Elder Elzey and I think about our sabbath day and why it is so important to make it different from other days. As a missionary everyday is basically the same schedule, but when we get home it won't be. Sirius didn't really understand that on Sunday we do things a little different, like how to keep it holy. Most
of the talk in 3rd hour was about families and how they can make Sunday better but Sirius and Jim both raised a concern about how they don't have families. Which kind of got everyone thinking. So after that we talked more about how we can make the sabbath a delight and holy more on a personal level. It was a great meeting.

I hope Christmas was wonderful for everyone. Be grateful for the snow and enjoy it.
Have a great New Years.
Love Elder Roper
Recent convert Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment